Before the Person
Watch sermon at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7h5BHax06c
- Goal Definition: result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end.
- If you don’t have aim – you can’t have a goal.
“The grass withers, the flower fades, when the breath of the Lord blows upon it; surely [all] the people are like grass.”
- A target needs to be standing still – if you’re basing your relationships off of culture, your target is moving. Relationships based on culture are always changing – God’s word doesn’t.
Point 1: God Wants Relationship for You
“Now the Lord God said, It is not good (sufficient, satisfactory) that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper meet (suitable, adapted, complementary) for him.”
- God created you to be in relationships.
- It’s not good to be alone – don’t isolate yourself. That’s where the enemy comes to attack.
- The enemy’s native tongue is “lie”.
- If you ever hear a lie – it’s the enemy.
“(9) Two are better than one, because they have a good [more satisfying] reward for their labor; (10) For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! (11) Again, if two lie down together then they have warmth; but how can one be warm alone? (12) And though a man might prevail against him who is alone, tow ill withstand him. A threefold cord is not quickly broken.”
- Does that relationship help you? If so, that relationship is from God.
- God wants relationship with you, then He wants relationship for you.
Point 2: God Desires to Give You Before the Person:
Genesis 2:8-10, 15-18
“(8) And the Lord God planted a garden toward the east, in Eden [delight]; and there He put the man whom He had formed (framed, constituted). (9) And out of the ground the Lord God made to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight or to be desired – good (suitable, pleasant) for food; the tree of life also in the center of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of [the difference between] good and evil and blessings and calamity.”
“(15) And the Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to tend and guard and keep it. (16) And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, You may freely eat of every tree of the garden. (17) But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and blessings and calamity you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die. (18) Now the Lord God said, It is not good (sufficient, satisfactory) that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper meet (suitable, adapted, complementary) for him.”
- Underline the following:
- verse 8: placed, man
- verse 9: produced
- verse 15: tend, watch
- verse 17: except
God desires to give you before the person:
- God desires to put you in a place where you have purpose
- What you think is a coincidence is God’s purpose
- The second thing God reveals in a place is purpose.
- God has you in that place on purpose.
- If you embrace the place you’re in, you’ll embrace the purpose.
- God placed Adam – it wasn’t an option.
- Why am I here?
- If you’re uncomfortable, God’s trying to grow you.
- God gave Adam a place – then purpose (to tend the garden).
- If you have to provide where you’re at, it’s not where God wants you to be.
- HE will provide for you if it’s HIS purpose/plan.
- God made us in HIS image – not the world’s.
- The enemy’s #1 tactic: make you question who you are.
- You can never be comfortable in the identity that’s not you.
- God has given you identity – EMBRACE IT.
- He created everything about you on purpose.
- Things people don’t understand and put you down about – God wants to use.
- verse 17: exceptIf you don’t have a standard before relationships, the relationships will create the standards
1 Corinthians 10:23
“All things are legitimate [permissible – and we are free to do anything we please], but not all things are helpful (expedient, profitable, and wholesome). All things are legitimate, but not all things are constructive [to character] and edifying [to spiritual life].”
- When you know you can but you don’t have to.
- We think people can give us those 5 things (place, purpose, provision, identity, parameters) but God is the only one that can.
2 Peter 1:3
“For His divine power has bestowed upon us all things that [are requisite and suited] to life and godliness, through the [full, personal] knowledge of Him Who called us by and to His own glory and excellence (virtue).”
- God has given us EVERYTHING WE NEED.
- When you come to know the Creator – He will fill and get rid of the opinions and society’s standards. His opinion is the one that matters.
- It’s NOT good to be alone – we need people.
- Don’t stop when things start to become better and you start to change – you have to keep letting God pour out in your life.
- When you’re filled with God, the lies can’t stick to you – they only stay on the surface.
- God hasn’t been holding the relationship from you, He’s been holding it for you.